School Referendum Vote November 3
The Westby Area Board of Education approved two referendum questions for the November 3 General Election.
Question 1 (Operational): Authorization to exceed the revenue limit by $1,200,000, $1,500,000, and $1,800,000 over a three-year period beginning with the 2021-22 school year.
Question 2 (Debt): Authorization to borrow $11,950,000 for safety, security and site improvements, including secure entrances; ADA accessibility updates; building infrastructure and capital maintenance improvements; renovations for career and technical education, and an addition for a greenhouse at Westby Area High School.
If both questions are approved, projections indicate a minimal increase over the current 2020-21 mill rate.
We considered suspending our long-range facilities planning efforts because of the pandemic. However, we are bringing a referendum question to the community at this time for the following reasons:
- The existing operational referendum expires after the 2020-21 school year.
- Many facility and educational needs have been delayed for years.
- We are in a time of historically low interest rates for borrowing, which reduces the overall cost to taxpayers.
- The District’s early repayment of existing debt allows for investment in the proposed projects with a projected minimal increase in the 2020-21 mill rate.
Over the coming weeks, referendum informational materials will be distributed to the public. Check back to this web page to get more information about the referendum. If you have questions, please call the District Office at 608-634-0101 or email email@example.com.
Attend a Referendum Information Meeting
Join us for an upcoming information meeting to learn about the proposed referendum plan, take a tour, and to get your questions answered. Information Meetings will be in-person with virtual access.
- September 29 – Westby Area Performing Arts Center, 7-8 pm.
- October 22 – Coon Valley Elementary 7-8 pm